Follow us


How Much Coffee Is Too Much Coffee?

How Much Coffee Is Too Much Coffee?

Almost everyone uses coffee to help them stay awake, but how much is too much?

 Photo courtesy of Dreamstime

Photo courtesy of Dreamstime

Coffee is one of the most consumed beverages across the globe - but Americans have a tendency to go a bit overboard. A lot of us at The Sitch have at least three cups per day, so we began to wonder just how much is too much?

 

The Stats

The average American consumes approximately 3.1 cups of coffee each day. Over 50% of Americans over 18 years old drink at least one cup of coffee per day - that's an average of 162,850,000 people. 65% of coffee is consumed first thing in the morning, with the other 35% being consumed between meals and in the afternoon. The United States imports almost $4 billion in coffee each year. 

 

The Facts

Good

A cup of coffee has been shown to both enhance athletic performance (by making your body more alert) and also helps to minimize the post workout pain by 46%. The Hepatology Journal recently published an article claiming that coffee consumption could also help lower the liver enzyme levels (which are damaged by too much alcoholic beverages). Coffee has also been shown to reduce the possibility of developing Alzheimer's disease, depression, heart disease, Parkinson's, Multiple Sclerosis, and colorectal cancer. Coffee can also help boost your metabolism, burn fat and is a great antioxidant. 

 

Bad

Research has shown that more than four cups of coffee each day has been linked to premature death (the average American consumes three cups of coffee per day). Averaging about two cups of coffee per day can result to high blood pressure (especially if you're prone to hypertension). Caffeine could lead to insomnia, indigestion, lower fertility, and headaches. 

 Photo courtesy of  Men's Health

Photo courtesy of Men's Health

 

How Much is too much?

At the end of the day, there are multiple coffee haters out there and many coffee lovers. There are sources that say that a healthy adult can consume up to 400 milligrams of caffeine per day (approximately four cups of coffee). Others say that 3-5 cups of coffee a day can have wonderful health benefits. In conclusion, it's best practice to listen to your body and remember that your coffee consumption can never take the place of good ol' H2O. 

 Photo courtesy of  The Odyssey

Photo courtesy of The Odyssey

How many cups of coffee do you drink per day? Let us know in the comments section below. 

For more health tips and fun facts, be sure to subscribe to The Sitch today.

This New York Uber Eats Driver Will Walk Your Food To The Door

This New York Uber Eats Driver Will Walk Your Food To The Door

Why This Cat Would Probably Drink You Under The Table

Why This Cat Would Probably Drink You Under The Table